Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs

Main Dish:

LeftoversSweet and Spicy Chicken (recipe from diaryofarecipeaddict.blogspot.com)
                  1/2 Red Onion
New Creation: Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs
Leftover Chicken, sliced into cubes
1 Zucchini, Sliced
1 Cup Grape Tomatoes
Leftover Red Onion, Sliced
Agave Nectar
Method: Arrange all ingredients together on skewers in whatever way suits your fancy. I like to put onion between all of the ingredients so the flavor mixes around. Warm grill and place full skewers on grate. At this point I chose to use up the rest of my Agave Nectar by basting my kabobs with it. I did this two times, once on each side after flipping over the skewers.


Side Dish:

Leftovers: Green salad with Iceberg and Romaine lettuce, green grapes, golden raisins, walnuts, and shredded parmesan cheese.
New Creation: Lettuce and Pasta Salad (idea from side of Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad box, BLT flavor)
Leftover Salad mixed with half of Pasta Salad (made according to package directions)
1/2 Cup Grape Tomatoes
Method: The Betty Crocker recipe called for a simple bagged salad, but as I was trying to use up leftovers, I went with the salad I had made the night before. The combination of the two wasn't my favorite, I don't know that I would ever make it that way on purpose, but it tasted alright. Most importantly, it used up leftovers that otherwise would have gone to waste.


Rolls:

Leftovers: 1 Cup each of 100% Whole Wheat Flour and White Whole Wheat Flour
                  3 Cups of Bread Flour, White
New Creation: Mostly Whole Wheat, but delicious nonetheless, Rolls (original recipe for Soft 100% Whole Wheat Rolls from thehubofourhome.com)
Leftover Cups of Flour (total of 5)
2 TBS Yeast
1/2 Cup Warm Water
1/2 Cup Butter, softened
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Cup Milk, room temperature (microwaved to reach approx. room temperature)
3 Eggs, room temperature (added to milk after it was microwaved)
1 TBS Distilled White Vinegar
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
Method: I added the yeast to the warm water and let sit inside bread maker while I mixed the liquid ingredients (butter, honey, milk, egg and vinegar).  I added the liquid mixture to the yeast water and then added the salt and the flour.  Then I set the bread maker on Whole Wheat Dough and let it do its thing.  (I have resorted to using a bread maker because something always goes wrong for me in the proofing process and my dough does NOT rise.  I still bake the dough into bread, I just let the bread maker mix it and knead it.)  Separate dough into balls and let rise to desired size.  Bake rolls in oven at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Again, the original recipe differs slightly from my own, but I have to give this recipe super kudos.  I have NEVER been able to make light and fluffy whole wheat rolls, and even with my improvisations, these were EXCELLENT.
Bonus: Extra dough was rolled into balls, frozen in mini muffin tin, and then placed in plastic bag for later use.



Dessert:

Leftovers: Vanilla and Chocolate Marble Sugar Cookies (this recipe for these was improvised)
                  1/2 Bag of Stackable Marshmallows
                  1/2 Bag of Roasting Marshmallows
                  3/4 Bag of Semisweet Chocolate Chips (my kids like to snack on these, so I find
                  opened bags frequently)
New Creation: Smore's Bars (original recipe for Smore's Bars from wipkits.blogspot.com)
Leftover Cookies, turned to crumbs in food chopper (original recipe called for a sugar cookie mix)
1 Wrapped Package of Graham Crackers, also turned to crumbs in food chopper
1/2 Cup of Butter, melted (the original recipe calls for a full cup, but as my cookies had been made with shortening, I felt that would be too much)
1 Bag Semisweet Chocolate Chips + Remainder of Opened Bag (again, the original recipe called for just 3 cups of MILK Chocolate chips, but I used what I had on hand.  Plus, I'm into chocolate, so I didn't feel bad about using 3 1/2 cups :)
Leftover Marshmallows (recipe calls for one bag of mini marshmallows)
Method: Mix cookie and graham cracker crumbs together with melted butter.  Pat into pan and bake in oven at 375° for 20 minutes to set crust.  Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and spread evenly when melted (I didn't read the instructions all the way, so I had melted these before they went onto the crust). Layer marshmallows on top.  Bake under broiler just until marshmallows brown, only a few seconds.  The recipe says to serve warm, but I knew my kids would make enough of a mess, so I stuck them in the freezer until the chocolate had hardened up.  In hindsight, mini marshmallows would have provided for a more even spread, but the bars tasted great anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment